LATE THIS AFTERNOON…SUNNY. SOUTH WINDS AROUND 20 MPH.
.TONIGHT…PARTLY CLOUDY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING. LOWS IN THE MID 60S. SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH SHIFTING TO THE NORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT.
.THURSDAY…MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S. NORTH WINDS
10 TO 15 MPH.
.THURSDAY NIGHT…MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 50S. NORTHEAST
WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
.FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT…PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S.
LOWS IN THE LOWER 60S. SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 15 MPH.
.SATURDAY…MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 80S.
.SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY. A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. LOWS IN THE UPPER 60S. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S.
.SUNDAY NIGHT…PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS. LOWS IN THE UPPER 50S.
.LABOR DAY AND MONDAY NIGHT…MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S.
LOWS IN THE UPPER 50S.
.TUESDAY…MOSTLY SUNNY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 80S.
.TUESDAY NIGHT…MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS. LOWS IN THE MID 50S.
.WEDNESDAY…SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S
Jamestown, ND (KCSi-T.V. News) — The Jamestown City Fire Department was called out about 3:20- p.m. on Wednesday afternoon (Aug 29, 2012), to an apartment unit at 611 11th Street Northeast.
The fire was at the second level balcony area, of an apartment unit, and was under control, in a short period of time.
Deputy Fire Chief, Jerry Kainz says, a neighbor threw water on a potted plant container, before the units arrived.
The cause was listed as discarded smoking materials in the potted plant container.
Damage was confined scorching to the balcony cement.
No injuries reported.
Five City Fire Department units, and 27 fire fighters were on the scene for about 15 minutes.
Jamestown, ND (KCSi-T.V. News Aug 29, 2012) — A sentencing hearing for 35 year old Leron Howard of Jamestown has been set for November 14, 2012, at 10-a.m., in Southeast District Court, in Jamestown.
On August 23, 2012 a Southeast District Court jury, in Jamestown, found Howard guilty of murder and criminal conspiracy, in the death of Somali immigrant 18 year old Abdi Ali Ahmed, of Jamestown.
A pre-sentence investigation was ordered by Judge Thomas Merrick.
Murder and Criminal Conspiracy are Class AA felonies, with the penalty up to life in prison without parole.
Co-defendant Janelle Cave was convicted of manslaughter and criminal conspiracy in February, 2012.
She was sentenced to 11 years in prison and is appealing her conviction, in the North Dakota Supreme Court.
Jamestown, ND (KCSi-T.V. News Aug 29, 2012) – The Jamestown City Fire Department Wednesday continued to test the newly acquired ROV Remote Operated Vehicle at Jamestown Reservoir.
City Fire Chief Jim Reuther reported, it is a test only, of the unit that aids in underwater searches.
Tom Crossmon a trainer from Duluth, Minnesota represented VideoRay, LLC, the company from which the unit was purchased was on hand for continued training.
He says Wednesday’s exercise was concentrating on the sonar aspect of the ROV.
On Tuesday pool training consisted of the basic opertations.
A commnity fundraiser in Jamestown in memory of Darrin Ackerman raised $24,606, toward the purchase of the unit.
His family and friends organized the fundraiser to purchase an R.O.V. which was able to assist local recovery efforts, in finding Darrin beneath the ice at Jamestown Reservoir late last year,a result of him falling through the ice while fishing.
The Jamestown City Council authoriized a bid award to VideoRay, LLC for the purchase of the Remote Operated Vehicle and Submersible & Training Class in the amount of $86,859.00.
The balance of the cost was picked up through grants.
Jamestown, ND (KCSi-T.V. News) – Jamestown College students will be welcomed to the community at the fifth annual Community Block Party from 5 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012, along First Avenue in Jamestown.
Everyone is invited to take part in the fun.
The event Co-Chair, Lisa Hicks, says, “This event introduces the community to the wonderful students who attend Jamestown College year after year.
It also helps promote relationships between the community and businesses.”
Local businesses, churches and organizations will host booths along the street.
Last year’s Block Party grew to over 80 booths with over 3,000 people attending. Entertainment includes inflatable games, worm mobile, food, prize drawings, dunk tank, contests, free giveaways and more.
Director of New Student Orientation, Lori Listopad says, “This event sets us apart from other colleges in the area. Other communities aren’t doing this.”
All first-year students will attend as part of orientation activities.
Upper-class students, faculty and staff will also represent Jamestown College.
The event takes place during the first week of classes.
Ms. Listopad adds, “We surveyed first-year students and found that a lot of them listed the Block Party as their favorite event of New Student Orientation.
We see our upper-class students come back each and every year because they love it.”
The Community Block Party website on the JC webpage (
www.jc.edu) provides more information about sponsorship and signing up to be a part of the festivities.
Anyone interested in being involved can also contact Gary VanZinderan at
gvanzin@jc.edu or (701) 252-3467 ext. 5563, or Lisa Hicks at the Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce at 252-4830, or E-Mail lisa@jamestownchamber.com
Jamestown, ND (KCSi-T.V. News) — The Jamestown Public Works Department announces that due to the Labor Day Holiday, there will be NO garbage pick-up on Monday, September 3, 2012.
Monday’s garbage route will be picked up on Tuesday.
Tuesday’s route will be picked up on Wednesday; Wednesday & Thursday’s routes will be picked up on Thursday with normal garbage pick-up on Friday, September 7, 2012.
The baling facility will be OPEN on Saturday, September 1, 2012 from 8:00 am – 11:30 a.m. and CLOSED on Monday, September 3, 2012.
Garbage routes will begin at 7:00 a.m. each morning.
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – North Dakota will test its Amber Alert system that is used to help searches for missing children.
The state Department of Emergency Services says the test will take place at 2 p.m. Thursday August 30, 2012.
It will be sent to media outlets.
The tests are done every year.
North Dakota’s system has been activated four times since it was set up in August 2002 to help locate missing children who might be in danger.
Three times, the child was found safely. One child who was the subject of an Amber Alert hasn’t been found.
Three-year-old Reachelle (ruh-SHELL’) Smith of Minot has been missing since May 2006.
GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) – Authorities have arrested a Larimore
man they say assaulted a Grand Forks County sheriff’s deputy who
was responding to a domestic disturbance.
The sheriff’s department says the 22-year-old suspect punched
the deputy and choked him Tuesday night before the deputy was able
to subdue the man.
He was arrested on an assault charge.
Separately, a Fort Totten man has pleaded guilty in Grand Forks
to assaulting a federal officer.
Twenty-four-year-old Brandt Yankton was accused of biting the right arm of the Bureau of Indian Affairs police chief during a traffic stop on the Spirit Lake Reservation last April.
U.S. Attorney Timothy Purdon says Yankton, who also goes by the
last name Jetty, faces up to 20 years in prison when he is
sentenced Nov. 15.
WILLISTON, N.D. (AP) – The Bismarck Area Occupational Safety and
Health Administration is investigating a work-related fatality in
the Williston area.
Eric Brooks with the Bismarck Area office says the agency is in the initial
stages of investigating the construction-related fatality.
He says OSHA received the report Wednesday morning and will be
releasing more information about the death on Thursday.
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – An energy company has been given the
go-ahead to start construction of a new natural gas processing
plant in northwestern North Dakota.
The Oneok company says the plant will cost $160 million and be
able to process 100 million cubic feet of natural gas each day.
Oneok is based in Tulsa, Okla. It already operates two natural gas
processing factories in western North Dakota and is building two
others.
North Dakota’s natural gas production has been rising along with
the state’s oil output. About one-third of the natural gas that’s
produced now is burned off, because pipelines aren’t in place yet
to process the fuel.
North Dakota’s Public Service Commission approved the factory’s
site plan Wednesday. Commissioner Kevin Cramer says it will help
cut down on natural gas waste.
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – A committee of North Dakota education officials has voted in favor of applying for a waiver from the requirements of the federal No Child Left Behind law.
State School Superintendent Wayne Sanstead will have the final say. Sept. 6 is the final deadline for states to apply.
More than two dozen states including South Dakota already have received waivers. States are being allowed to opt out of the law if they meet certain requirements including developing alternative standards that meet federal approval.
North Dakota residents can submit comments about the proposed waiver request through Saturday on the state Department of Public Instruction website, at http://www.dpi.state.nd.us/ .
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) – North Dakota regulators have approved a
new $200 million wind energy project in western North Dakota.
The project is being developed by Allete (ah-LEET’) Clean Energy.
It will have as many as 50 wind turbines.
They’ll be spread over about 19 square miles north of Glen Ullin in Morton and Mercer counties.
North Dakota’s Public Service Commission gave the project a
construction permit Wednesday.
Commissioner Kevin Cramer says the company will have to file detailed plans about the location of the wind turbines before any building can take place.
Allete Clean Energy is part of the Allete Inc. company in Duluth, Minn.
Allete already has one operating wind farm in southwestern North Dakota, and the company is building two others.
MINOT, N.D. (AP) – The Federal Emergency Management Agency is
extending its temporary housing program in Minot by six months as
the city continues its recovery from the historic Souris River
flooding last summer.
FEMA’s housing program was to end Christmas Eve, but the agency
announced Wednesday that it has been extended through June 24,
2013. State officials had asked for the extension.
FEMA made more than 2,000 mobile homes available after the
flooding for displaced residents.
More than 1,200 are still in use in Minot and Ward County. People who remain in them after the end of the year will be charged rent.
FEMA says they also will be given the opportunity to buy their temporary home.
TIOGA, N.D. (AP) – Lawmakers in the Dakotas are touring the
western North Dakota oil patch to get a firsthand look at the boom
happening there.
About 20 North Dakota lawmakers and seven from South Dakota on
Wednesday were touring drilling rig and oil well sites.
They planned an overnight stay at a crew camp at Tioga.
The event is sponsored by the North Dakota Petroleum Council, a
trade group.
GRAFTON, N.D. (AP) – Voters in Walsh County will decide in
November whether to change child custody laws.
The ballot measure would establish equal parental rights for
divorced or separated parents, as long as neither parent was
legally determined to be an unfit parent.
The initiated measure is spearheaded by Mitch Sanderson of Park
River. The former Grand Forks resident was the main promoter of a
similar statewide ballot measure that voters rejected in 2006.
Walsh County Auditor Sharon Kinsala says petitions submitted by Sanderson have enough valid signatures to qualify for the county ballot.
In sports….
GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) – Altru Health System in Grand Forks has pledged $10 million to the University of North Dakota to support a sports medicine partnership.
UND President Robert Kelley says $9 million will go toward a new indoor practice facility on campus that also will have space for academic and clinical studies.
The remaining $1 million will help pay off the new $3.8 million turf installed at the Alerus Center, where the UND football team plays home games.
Altru CEO Dave Molmen says the partnership is part of a larger initiative to improve the health of the entire community.
In world and national news…
NEW ORLEANS (AP) – Officials in New Orleans say they are
imposing a dusk-to-dawn curfew as Hurricane Isaac continues to lash
the city on the seventh anniversary of Katrina.
Police cars have been patrolling the nearly empty streets since Isaac began bringing fierce winds and heavy rains to the city last night.
The curfew is set to start Wednesday night and will last until further notice.
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) – Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal says coastal
officials may intentionally break a levee on the east bank of
flooded Plaquemines (PLAK’-uh-minz) Parish to relieve pressure.
Jindal says there’s no estimate on when that might occur.
He says as many as 40 people are reportedly in need of rescue in the area.
Rescuers in boats and trucks have picked up a handful of people who
became stranded by floodwaters in thinly populated areas of
southeast Louisiana.
Hurricane Isaac has knocked out power to more than 600,000 households and businesses.
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – Republican Party officials have been keeping
in touch with governors from states affected by Hurricane Isaac.
The storm has already forced the schedule at the party’s convention
in Tampa to be shaken up.
Even if the schedule isn’t changed again, officials are aware that they might need to adjust the tone of the celebration.
They have discussed potentially raising money for hurricane victims during the gathering.
WASHINGTON (AP) – The Federal Reserve says the U.S. economy
expanded at a moderate pace in July and early August, boosted by
stronger retail sales.
The report said hiring over the six-weekperiod was slightly more positive than in the previous report, which called hiring “tepid.”
The Fed report will guide discussions when central bank policymakers meet next month.
Financial markets are hoping the Fed will provide more support to boost a sub-par economic recovery.
WASHINGTON (AP) – The book written by a former Navy SEAL who
took part in the raid that killed Osama bin Laden is raising
questions as to whether bin Laden presented a clear threat when
SEALs first fired upon him.
According to the book, bin Laden was apparently shot in the head when he looked out of his bedroom door into a hallway as the Americans rushed toward him.
In the days after the raid, officials had said the SEALs shot bin Laden only
after he ducked back into the bedroom, because they thought he might be reaching for a weapon.













Comments are closed
Sorry, but you cannot leave a comment for this post.